Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Suddenly the calendar is filling up

No sooner did I mention that I had not seen any shows yet this year, then the calendar suddenly starts to fill up. The fun starts this week:

Thursday night [February 10] I will be returning to my high school to see an original production entitled "This Moves Me"

This play, so I have been told, focuses on music, so when I got a postcard mailer last week I was at the very least intrigued. I wasn't sure I would be able to work out transportation, but things all came together and I am genuinely looking forward to what this original piece is all about, Plus, it gives another chance to see my friend and high school Drama teacher Baugher once again. So it should be a fun evening.

After that, on Friday nite I will be seeing the one and only David Allen Coe at The Hat Factory with Eddie. I just found out about this show last week, and after checking with the staff of the venue to make sure they have some sort of handicapped seating for this standing room only show, [they do], I bought tickets and I really can't wait for a rowdy, loud good time.

On Saturday [February 12] I will be seeing Godspell. This is a play that Midlothian High performed the year after I graduated. I saw it then but don't recall very much. I've heard some great things about the cast, plus seeing the show with some great people will make for a fun evening.

A bit further down the road: On May 15 I will be seeing The Flaming Lips here in town at The National. I saw them in 2007 at The NorVa and they were amazing. Truly they are one of the few bands on par with KISS when it comes to putting on a spectacle.I don't know if tickets are still left, but if there are still some available, BUY ONE!! This is a show you do not want to miss! I read that for the band's 05.19 show in Atlanta, they will be performing the entire 'Soft Bulliten' album. No news on if something similar will happen for the Richmond show, but it does promise to be F-U-N!!

Last week I bought two tickets to see Taylor Swift in Washington, DC August 3rd. She's playing two shows [starting August 2nd] at Verizon Center. Both shows sold out within two hours and, I've read that there is talk of adding a third show for August 4th. Ticket prices are priced about one-third higher than they were for her tour last year, but that doesn't matter. These tickets are still going so fast that most fans are forced to use StubHub to buy tickets at three and four times face value. On the one hand, I am happy that the presale password for her tickets is available for free when you join her email list, but on the other hand, I wish you could pay a bit more than face value to be guaranteed a good seat. That's another discussion for another day.

So I will be busy this weekend, seeing some theatre and hearing some classic country tunes. Reviews will be posted soon.

Thanks for reading.
Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment